ABCBHR relies solely on the time, energy, and dedication of volunteers. Brought together by a love of bassets, our volunteers save the lives of many bassets each year. ABCBHR volunteers don’t just love animals; they put their love of animals into action. It’s true that no one person can save them all…but if you can make a difference in the life of just one animal, your contribution is invaluable.
Welcome a basset into your home and care for them until adoption. You can read more about this position by visiting our Foster Page.
- Initiate and organize fundraising campaigns and special events
- Serve on a committee for one of our major fundraisers.
- Assist with an event by helping with set-up/clean-up, auctions, raffles.
- Contact businesses for donations & collecting items for our raffles
- Help broaden the awareness of ABCBHR in the community.
- Look for opportunities to participate in community events to promote ABCBHR.
- Look for media opportunities to promote ABCBHR.
- Serve as liaison to local media (TV, radio, newspapers).
- Establish good relationships with local pounds, shelters and humane societies and monitor them so you’re in a position to rescue any bassets the shelter cannot place.
- Establish relationships with local veterinarians, groomers, etc, so they can contact you when they learn of a basset hound in need of rescue or offer discounted rates for rescued dogs that need their services.
Frequently, ABCBHR bassets need to be transported across the state either from foster homes to forever homes. Consider giving 2-3 hours of your time meeting other volunteers along the I-90 when dogs need to be transported between Buffalo and Albany. Sometimes, we have extensive transports to Ohio when we help other basset rescues that need help placing bassets. Please let us know if you are available for long transports like these.
You don’t have to do everything listed above, and there are many other ways you can help which aren’t listed here. These are just examples of areas we need help with. If you are interested in something that is not listed above, please let us know. We’re all ears! Once you are an approved volunteer, you will be subscribed to a “volunteer only” e-mail discussion list where ABC discusses our daily needs and issues. It gives you a great insight into the day to day workings of rescue.
If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, please fill out our convenient Online Volunteer Application form. Once received, the volunteer committee will review your application and contact you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest in helping ABC Basset Hound Rescue. If you have any questions or would like to discuss ABC’s volunteer program in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact ABC’s Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org